Digital Overload, The 35mm Era, New Rules for Kids and Tech

On this week’s show, we have some really good content for you. We first open up with a candid conversation about digital overload and smooth into a well-rounded discussion about the rules governing children and technology. We finish up the end of an era in the movie going experience. Listen in and hear what all the buzz is about!

Welcome in the Episode 113 of Waves of Tech. Every week we come to the table with so many things to discuss. Well, this week we have decided on some pretty open conversation items. We hope you enjoy the conversation and hope that you join in as well. Just leave a comment below!

Technology is swirling around every turn, every corner, and every crevice of today’s society. We have tablets, smartphones, laptops, and e-readers. We have Twitter, Facebook, FourSquare, Yelp, and Google Plus. It is so easy to get tangled in the web of technology and get to the point of digital exhaustion. That digital overload feeling often reaches a tipping point, a boiling point in which something has to give. Well, Steve found that point and tells us all about it. Sometimes closing yourself off from the tech sector, with all its tweets and all its content, is exactly what’s needed every once and a while. Give it a try!

A very interesting post on CNN got our attention regarding the new rules for kids and technology in the 21st Century. So many platforms with so many options can overwhelm parents. Listen in to the show for more in depth conversation but here are some thoughts from Jim directly:

“Getting past the fear in the first part of the article was a little difficult from the overwhelming numbers. 7.5 million kids using Facebook that are underage.As a Fifth Grade teacher, I know that. Most of my students have accounts…and shouldn’t. Before I went much further though, I had to step back, and as a teacher, look at “the author’s purpose”. I looked at some of the other facts in the introductory section and was able to reel myself back in with ridiculous statements like this.
More disturbingly, rival Norton asserts that kids spend more than 1.6 hours a day online, 62% of whom have had a negative experience, but only a paltry 45% of parents are aware.

What’s a “negative experience”? Parents are aware…of what? So back to the matter at hand, new rules for kids and technology. And guess what, for the most part the rules are the same that they have always been. Taking out computer and substituting in “television”, you find the exact same thing that we’ve been doing for 50 years. Don’t allow them to spend too much time just sitting and watching TV. Don’t put a TV in their room. Restrict their access to inappropriate content by being aware of what they are watching. All of those rules apply to computer usage, too. Nothing “New” here. Except fewer and fewer parents are following those rules.

After that, start adding in the new media of the day..first DVDS, then streaming content, and finally, social networking. And once again, same rules, different media. So where do the NEW rules come in, Scott? Social Media and Apps, that’s where. We all grew up with “don’t talk to strangers” and online, we almost encourage it. You have to teach your kids, then, that there is a difference between real world and virtual world, but some things still apply. Don’t give out personal information to strangers. As for apps, the big problem that occurs is in-app purchases. You have to teach your kids to just say no and that virtual purchases often incur real world expenses. And so, for the most part, the article didn’t give us much new insight, but it’s always worth repeating..just as it has been for 50 years.”

Finally tonight, the end of a era is coming by 2015. For over 120 years, the movie theater business has stuck to what it knows and what works – using 35mm film. It’s estimated that by 2015 only 17% of theaters will be using the 33mm film and digital technology with comprise the other 83%. The big push towards a 3D movie experience is changing the landscape of cinema. Also, the cost of producing and transporting billions of feet of film is no longer cost effective. How does this change the movie experience for you, the one paying the big dollars to see a film? We answer that question with our own experience and what we thing is the answer to that question. We hope you enjoy riding the tides of Episode 113 of Waves of Tech and hope to see you around soon!

 

Scroll to top