On Episode 522 of the Waves of Tech, we are diving into technology stories that are interesting, exciting, and relevant. Spotify announced this week the future launch of a HiFi (high fidelity) subscription service that will deliver an enhanced audio experience to their customers. Silver Sparrow, a mysterious malware, has reportedly infected nearly 30,000 Macs worldwide with a self-destruct feature that has yet to be utilized. NASA successfully landed Perseverance and Ingenuity on the surface of Mars signalling the start of another mission to understand the puzzling planet.
Spotify Launches HiFi Audio Service
During their live Stream On event this week, Spotify announced their intentions to develop and release to subscribers an improved audio experience. As a dominant force in the streaming business, their HiFi subscription plans to deliver music in a CD-quality, lossless audio format. Artists are exciting as their music will be streamed as it was intended to be heard & produced.
- No details on Kbps rates as of yet, but a rival company is streaming at 1411 Kbps
- Spotify will add this as a streaming tier fro $20/month, possible add on to premium
- There is no mention as to if artists are compensated additionally for this subscription
- Don’t forget that you’ll need to upgrade your headphones for compatible use as well
Macs Worldwide Hit by Silver Sparrow
In research conducted to Red Canary, a popular computer and cyber security firm, it was confirmed that nearly 30,000 Macs across 153 countries were infected with a mysterious malware known as Silver Sparrow. The scary part about Silver Sparrow – a self-destruct mechanism that appears to have not been used but could be on systems.
- It is often stated that Macs are less vulnerable and not prone to attack, just false
- Researchers found the malware to operate natively within the new M1 Apple chips
- Very possible that more Macs worldwide have been infected and not traced yet
- Always be sure to be using a current, up to date security scanning application
Perseverance Landing & Ingenuity Helicopter
Last week created another amazing moment in space history when NASA landed the Perseverance on the surface of Mars. Since the early 1960s, there have been several successful attempts at landing on the planet with each mission returning something unique and fascinating. Pictures of the surface of Mars were instantly shared with the world last week.
- Encourage others to relive the past missions and research the background of NASA
- Ingenuity, a helicopter to navigate the planet in tandem and test powered flight
- Each mission allows scientists to understand the planet a bit more, piece by piece
- It is often forgotten that NASA staff are now running on Martian time for the mission
Resources & Links