On Episode 330 of The Waves of Tech, we dive into a number of tech topics that are interesting and relevant. Veterans Day is coming soon and we share some great tech and non-tech deals that are waiting for veterans and military personnel. Dubai Airport is working on a drone hunter that uses infrared and thermal imaging to detect location of unauthorized drone activity. In bizarre tech news, a single mother in California is facing jail time for selling food enthusiast focused Facebook group! And finally, seasons are changing and we provide some fall and winter tech cleaning tips to make your life more focused, efficient, and productive. Enjoy Episode 330 and continue to ride…that waves of tech!
Veterans Day is Friday
November 11th is Veterans Day in the United States. It’s a deep tradition that includes parades, salutes, all-you-can-eat pancakes, and free meals to veterans. Check out your local stores and restaurants. What new tech items may you pick up today?
- Free meals are a great way for restaurants to say thank you
- Lowe’s and Home Depot are providing 10% discounts on all purchases
- Cabela’s is offering special discounts to military and law enforcement personnel
- Check online tech retailers for any promo codes or discount offers
- Be sure to say Thank You to a veteran this year
It may or may no surprise you that Dubai is the 3rd busiest airport in the world. And, it may or may not surprise you that unauthorized drone activity has shut the airport down a number of times, costing the airlines and passengers time, money, and stress.
- Officials have created a drone hunter to track and monitor unauthorized activity
- Drone hunter uses infrared and thermal imaging to detect location of drones
- Every minute the airport shuts down, it loses nearly $1 million
- Illegal drone use has shut the airport down three times, once for 90 minutes
- Illegal drone use is a safety issue, causes lost profits, and it dreadful for passengers
Single Mom Faces Fail for Selling Food on Facebook
File this story under, “Are you serious?” Maybe even, “Why are they wasting their time and energy on this?” Or even, “You have got to kidding me!” A mother faces jail time after selling home food items through Facebook to some friends.
- Woman faces a year of fail time for selling food prepared items on Facebook
- Food officials conducted an online sting to bust a number of foodies
- The proposed plea deal included probation, fines, and community service
- Others took the plea deal but this woman is fighting and rightfully so
- Investigators are using social media as a crime fighting tool rather than an educational tool
Fall & Winter Tech Cleaning
We are all familiar with spring cleaning. We clean out our garages, closets, homes, cars, and sometimes bank accounts for spring vacations. We have some fall and winter tech cleaning tips to make you more efficient, productive, and focused.
- Unsubscribe to newsletters, email notices, and discount deal notifications
- Delete cache from your browsers and phone apps to clear up space on your devices
- Remove mobile notifications to stay focused and less distracted throughout the day
- Update your security systems and settings on your desktops at work and home
- Backup your photos, documents, mobile phone, and personal effects